BWF decides not to hold any tournaments within the qualification window before the Tokyo Olympics

The two remaining tournaments in the qualification window- Malaysia Open and Singapore Open were cancelled due to rise in COVID-19 cases and BWF was supposed to take a clear call on conducting any further qualifying tournaments.

Badminton World Federation (BWF) on Saturday announced that it not going to hold any further tournaments within the qualification period for the Tokyo Olympics. It said that the present rankings are going to be followed and the final list of players is going to be released accordingly.

The two remaining tournaments in the qualification window- Malaysia Open and Singapore Open were canceled due to the rise in COVID-19 cases and BWF was supposed to take a clear call on conducting any further qualifying tournaments.

The BWF secretary said in his statement that no player would get a chance to increase the ranking points since then there is no tournament in the qualification window

This means that if there is no change in the ranking structure, the rankings will go in the same way and the players who have been able to make it top 16 (in singles) and top 8 (in doubles) in the Race to Tokyo rankings will be considered for qualification and make it to Tokyo.

The Olympics in Tokyo was supposed to be held last year in 2020 but were postponed by a year without any change in the venue. Earlier, International Olympic Committee (IOC) had also said that tournaments are less likely to be postponed and will be carried out regardless of whatever happens.

Subscribe to our newsletter
Get your daily dose of Cricket, Football, Tennis & other favorite sports with handpicked stories delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More