IPL 2021: IPL’s foreign contingent to start returning home from May 5th
IPL suspension has brought the mega event to an abrupt end. Following which foreign contingent of different franchises to start returning home from 5th May.
The Indian Premier League (IPL) overseas contingent will start leaving India for their respective homes from Wednesday, 5th May. An official from Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) told Reuters after sudden indefinite suspension due to COVID-19 situation in the country.
In the wake of surging COVID-19 numbers in India and multiple COVID-19 break out in different IPL franchises, IPL was suspended with immediate effect on Tuesday. Many international cricketers, coaches, commentators scramble to return home.
“We have been working on their travel plans in consultation with their respective boards so that each of them reach home safely,” the BCCI official said requesting anonymity.
“Some of them will return home tomorrow.”
Travel restrictions were imposed by Australia on passengers from India till May 15 with no exemptions. Making the process of returning of 40 member Australian contingent inclusive of 14 players who played IPL, difficult.
Australian Cricketers’ Association and Cricket Australia in a joint statement said “CA and the ACA respect the decision of the Australian Government to pause travel from India until at least May 15 and will not seek exemptions.” Cricket Australia said that they would work with BCCI to get their players back safely.
There are reports stating Australian contingent might move to Maldives and then return home when the situation is right.
Former test player and commentator Michael Slater, stranded in the Maldives criticized the ban on arrivals from India, saying Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison has “blood” on his hands.
The United Kingdom has already put India on its ‘red list’ last month. This means Eoin Morgan, KKR captain and 10 others would have to be quarantined for 10 days.
“The ECB …thanks the BCCI for its commitment to do everything in its powers to arrange for the secure and safe passage of all those taking part in the competition,” an ECB spokesperson said.
The South African cricket board said it was making arrangements to bring back its players and support staff from India.