Nathan Lyon: Biography, Age, Height, Achievements, Family and Career Statistics
Check to get a glimpse of the excellent records set by Nathan Lyon, and his other details like achievements and statistics etc.
Nathan Michael Lyon is an Australian International Cricket player, who is said to make his Test debut in 2011. He also plays domestic cricket for team New South Wales. However, he is said to be an off-spin bowler and a lower-order right-handed batsman, who has till now presented his excellent skills to the world.
According to reports, the player has by far set an astonishing record of the maximum Test wickets taken by an Australian off-spin bowler, passing Hugh Trumble’s 141 wickets in the year of 2015. The player also became the leading wicket taker during the BBL (2010-11) by registering around 11 wickets to his name. Based on facts, in 2021 he played a Test match for the 100th time during the Australia series against team India. Moreover, Lyon is considered as the most successful off-spin bowler for Australia.
Biography of Nathan Lyon
- Real Name: Nathan Michael Lyon
- Other/Nickname: Garry, Gazza, Gaz, Gareth, Lyno.
- Profession: Australian Cricketer
- Famous for: His off-spin bowling capability
- Batting: Right-handed
- Bowling: Right-arm off break
- Other Hobbies: Playing golf, listening to music
Physical Features of Nathan Lyon
- Height: 183 cm (6’0″)
- Weight: 73 kilograms (approx.)
- Body Measurements (approx.): Chest- 39 inches, Waist- 32 inches and Biceps- 12 inches
- Eye Colour: Hazel Brown
- Hair Colour: Semi Bald (Brown)
Personal Life of Nathan Lyon
- Date of Birth: November 20, 1987
- Age: 34 (as in 2021)
- Nationality: Australian
- Birthplace: Young, New South Wales, Australia
- Hometown: Young, New South Wales, Australia
- Coach/Mentor: John Davison
Nathan Lyon’s Debut:
- Test- 31 August 2011 against Sri Lanka in Galle
- ODI- 8 March 2012 against Sri Lanka in Adelaide
- T20- 29 January 2016 against India in Melbourne
Nathan Lyon’s Achievements:
- Lyon became the leading wicket taker during the BBL (2010-11) by registering around 11 wickets to his name.
- He successfully registered as the “Man of the Series” to his name in a series against Zimbabwe-A by taking 11 wickets.
- As per reports, Lyon became the third Australian and seventeenth international player to take his first wicket off his first ball in Test cricket after he dismissed Sangakkara at the time of making his debut against Sri Lanka.
- Moreover, he came to be known as the sixth Australian cricket player to take up nearly 100 wickets in Test Matches during the later period of 2013. And, successfully took a 5 wicket haul in the same match.
- Lyon has been successful in surpassing Hugh Trumble’s record of 14 wickets in the year of 2015. He, however, holds the record of taking the highest number of wickets by an Australian off-spinner.
- Furthermore, in a match against Sri Lanka during the mid 2016, he managed to become the first Australian off-spinner to take around 200 Test Wickets.
- Later, he successfully achieved the Australian Men’s Test Player of the Year in 2019.
Family Details of Nathan Lyon:
- Marital Status: Married
- Spouse Name: Emma McCarthy
- Parents Names: Father- Steven Lyon, Mother- Bronwyn Lyon
- Siblings: Brother- Brendan Lyon
- Children: Daughters- Harper Lyon and Milla Ellen
- Religion: Christianity
Lesser- Known Facts about Nathan Lyon:
- The cricketer is said to run a campaign for the state government whose motive is to avoid drunk driving.
- As per sources, Lyon managed to finish a 4-year apprenticeship at the Manuka Oval in Canberra (2010). This, however, embarked his career as a ground-staff team member at Adelaide Oval.
- However, Nathan has been given the nickname, “GOAT” for surpassing Hugh Trumble’s 141 test wickets in the year of 2015.
- Moreover, there’s a phrase (Nice Garry) which got attached to his name in 2016. This is because the wicketkeeper, Matthew Wade shouted the same name after each and every ball he spinned in that match.
- Lyon was guided by Mark Higgs in Canberra. Mark Higgs was a left-arm spinner in his days, who was once picked for Australia as a replacement for Shane Warne.
- Moreover, Lyon is said to become the 17th bowler in the history of Test cricket to take a wicket off his first ball in the format.
- In the year of 2011, the Australian cricketer was called up to the Australian Test squad for their tour to Sri Lanka. However, he was chosen after he had played only four First-Class matches.
- Since the retirement of Shane Warne in 2007, Lyon is said to be the only specialist Australian spinner to have taken over 100 Test wickets.
- Furthermore, his younger daughter, Milla, was born during the recent tour to the United Arab Emirates (UAE). As Lyon couldn’t be there, he managed to watch her birth via Skype.