Comfortable Win for Red Devils as Dalot and Fernandes Shine in FA Cup Clash

Read how Manchester United breezed into the FA Cup fourth round with a 2-0 triumph over Wigan Athletic. Dalot and Fernandes’ goals secure a convincing victory for the Red Devils.

Manchester United cruised into the FA Cup fourth round with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Wigan Athletic, the 2013 winners, at the DW Stadium.

Portuguese talents Diogo Dalot and Bruno Fernandes found the net in each half, securing the Red Devils’ first away triumph since November 26.

Despite a relatively controlled performance from Man Utd for the majority of the match, goalkeeper Andre Onana had to make an early save in the fourth minute, denying Thelo Aasgaard’s left-footed effort from Martial Godo’s cross at the back post.


Wigan’s goalkeeper, Sam Tickle, was then called into action as he thwarted Marcus Rashford‘s attempt to open the scoring. However, Tickle couldn’t prevent Dalot’s strike in the 22nd minute. Rashford set up Dalot, who calmly guided the ball into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

United’s dominance was evident, hitting the frame of the goal three times in the first half. Rashford’s shot hit the post, Hojlund struck the crossbar with a header, and Alejandro Garnacho’s left-footed effort from over 20 yards out crashed against the bar.

Despite 17 shots in the first half, Man Utd led 1-0 at halftime.

The second half saw continued opportunities for the Red Devils, with Kobbie Mainoo joining the list of frustrated players denied by Tickle. Eventually, Fernandes secured the chance to double the lead after being fouled by Liam Shaw inside the box. He calmly converted the penalty into the bottom-left corner.

Manchester United is now set for a fourth-round clash on the weekend of January 27, facing an away trip to either League Two’s Newport County or National League side Eastleigh.


This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More