Suresh Raina: Biography, Age, Height, Achievements, Family and Career Statistics
Get complete information on the records, statistics and achievements of Suresh Raina. Insights into his family and career are available.
Suresh Raina is a former international cricket player from India. He periodically filled in as captain for the Indian men’s national cricket team when the regular skipper was out. In the domestic cricket circuit, he represented Uttar Pradesh (UP). He plays left-handed middle-order bats aggressively and occasionally bowls off-spin. He is the second-youngest player to have ever led India as captain. In the Indian Premier League (IPL), he led the Gujarat Lions as captain and served as vice-captain of the Chennai Super Kings. He is the first Indian player to score a century in all three international cricket formats.
Raina announced that he was leaving international cricket competitions on August 15, 2020. He left the 2020 Indian Premier League for private reasons. He declared his retirement from all crickets on September 6, 2022, including IPL and domestic cricket.
- Real Name: Suresh Kumar Raina
- Nick Name: Sanu, Sonu
- Profession: Indian Cricketer (Batsman)
- Playing Role: Middle-order Batter
- Batting Style: Left-hand bat
- Bowling style: Right-arm off-break
- Parents: Trilokchand Raina, Parvesh Raina
- Wife: Priyanka Chaudhary
- Children: Rio Raina, Gracia Raina
- Test Debut: July 26, 2010
- ODI Debut: July 30, 2005
- Height (approx.): 173 cm
- Weight (approx.): 73 Kg
- Eye Colour: Dark Brown
- Hair Colour: Black
- Tattoos: NA
- Test: 26 July 2010 against Sri Lanka at Colombo
- ODI: 30 July 2005 at Dambulla, vs Sri Lanka
- T20: 1 December 2006 against South Africa at Jo’Burg.
- Jersey Number: #3 (India), #3 (IPL)
- Domestic/State Teams: Gujarat Lions, India Blue, and Chennai Super Kings
- Nature on the field: Calm demeanour
- Prefers to play against Pakistan and Sri Lanka
- Favorite Shot/Ball: inside-out hit over covers, and lofted hit over between deep midwicket and wide long-on
- He was the first Indian player in Twenty20 history to score 6000 and 8000 runs.
- He is the first cricketer to ever score 5,000 IPL runs.
- He now holds the IPL record for most catches (107) made.
- He is the first Indian player and the second overall after Chris Gayle to hit 100 sixes in the IPL.
- In the 0, he scored the most runs (842 runs)
- He holds the record for the most fifty-sevens ever scored in the Champions League T20
- In an IPL game, he set the record for the most runs scored during the power play.
Facts About Raina
- An ODI debut ODI and a Test debut century
- Although Suresh Raina has recently been one of India’s greatest ODI batsmen, his 50-over career did not get off to a good start as he was removed for a first-ball duck against Sri Lanka.
- First Indian to score a century in a T20I
- The first century by an Indian batsman in T20I cricket was Raina’s 101 against South Africa at the 2010 World Twenty20 in the West Indies. Rohit Sharma is the only other Indian T20 player with a century. The left-handed player’s effort also marks the only century by an Indian player at the World Twenty20.
- Jammu and Kashmir-born military officer’s son
- He is from the Indian state of Jammu & Kashmir, and his father, Trilok Chand, is a former military officer. Suresh Raina was born into a Kashmiri Pandit household and has four siblings: older sister Renu, brothers Dinesh, Naresh, Mukesh, and sister Dinesh.
- 2004 U-19 World Cup participant
- India placed in the semi-finals of the ICC Under-19 World Cup in 2004, under Raina’s representation. Along with several future Indian stars like Shikhar Dhawan, Robin Uthappa, and Ambati Rayudu, he was also accompanied by some future international players like Angelo Matthews, Alastair Cook, Vernon Philander, Wahab Riaz, and others.
- The Nation’s Newest T20I captain
- Suresh Raina, then 23 years old, later made history by becoming India’s T20I format captain. He also passed Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, who led India in any format at the age of 21, becoming the second-youngest player to do so.
“Get more sports news, cricket news, and football updates, log on to sportsdigest.in. Follow us on Facebook or Twitter and Subscribe to our YouTube Channel.”