New Zealand Announces Spin-Heavy Test Squad for Bangladesh Series
New Zealand unveils its Test squad for the Bangladesh series, emphasizing spin options to adapt to subcontinental conditions. The return of Santner, Ravindra, and Jamieson adds depth to the team.
New Zealand has revealed its Test squad for the upcoming two-Test series in Bangladesh, set to commence on November 28th. The squad emphasizes spin-heavy options to adapt to the spin-friendly conditions expected in Bangladesh.
Key Squad Additions:
- Kyle Jamieson, Rachin Ravindra, and Mitchell Santner make their return to the Test squad.
- Santner, last appearing in Test cricket in 2021, rejoins as one of the frontline spinners alongside Ajaz Patel and Ish Sodhi. He had a successful Plunket Shield season in 2022/23.
- Rachin Ravindra and Glenn Phillips, off-spinning all-rounders, return to the Test squad based on their strong performances at the ICC Cricket World Cup.
- Kyle Jamieson, who underwent back surgery in February, reenters the squad, adding to New Zealand’s pace attack.
New Zealand selector Sam Wells stated that the squad’s selection takes into account the conditions they will face in Bangladesh. He highlighted the strength of the spin group and the added depth that Mitchell Santner brings to the batting lineup as a genuine all-rounder. Wells also commended Rachin Ravindra’s left-arm orthodox option and his improvements with the ball, along with his batting prowess displayed at the World Cup.
The return of Kyle Jamieson, who brings a different dimension to the pace group, is another notable inclusion. Jamieson is renowned for his red-ball bowling and subcontinent experience.
Coaching Team for the Series:
- Luke Ronchi leads the coaching team for the Bangladesh tour, as regular head coach Gary Stead prepares for the upcoming home summer.
- The coaching staff includes bowling coaches Jacob Oram (pace) and Saqlain Mushtaq (spin), as well as Daniel Flynn, who joins as the batting coach.
The series against Bangladesh marks the beginning of the third cycle of the ICC World Test Championship for the Blackcaps. New Zealand, having won the first edition, has a strong history in the WTC and aims to accumulate valuable points in foreign conditions.
- Michael Bracewell, the Wellington Firebirds all-rounder, is unavailable for selection due to his ongoing recovery from a ruptured Achilles.
- Trent Boult opted out of the tour and was not considered for selection.
The New Zealand Test squad for the Bangladesh series includes:
- Tim Southee (Captain)
- Tom Blundell (Wicketkeeper)
- Devon Conway
- Matt Henry
- Kyle Jamieson
- Tom Latham
- Daryl Mitchell
- Henry Nicholls
- Ajaz Patel
- Glenn Phillips
- Rachin Ravindra
- Mitchell Santner
- Ish Sodhi
- Kane Williamson
- Will Young