CONCACAF has stated it is open for biennial World Cups
The North American footballing body has stated it is open for biennial editions of the World Cup if it meant it will reduce the workload of the players.
CONCACAF said on Monday it is open to the idea of biennial World Cups if a balanced structure for the game is created globally. The association says it agrees to a new footballing calendar if it reduces the amount of international window. It also calls for reduced travel for players and playing more competitive matches instead of friendlies, it agrees with the new model.
It has stated that it will continue to receive these proposals with an open mind. CONCACAF also stated that the body will engage positively and take constructive decisions. Meanwhile, last week CONMEBOL ( South American footballing body ) criticized FIFA’s proposals. Meanwhile, UEFA’s president Aleksander Ceferin warned FIFA that the European nations might boycott the World Cup.
CONCACAF in its statement has stated:
“CONCACAF’s immediate focus is on its region. However, we also believe in the importance of being part of the global football family. We will listen to the views of football stakeholders in all parts of the world. CONCACAF encourages not only our fellow Confederations but also all members of the global football family to come together and work collaboratively to create FIFA calendars and competitions that have benefits for the development of the game in all regions across the world.”
FIFA’s congress voted to carry out a feasibility study on holding the men’s and women’s World Cups every two years. However, FIFA’s proposal has been met with opposition. Meanwhile, CONCACAF has asked for wider consultation with stakeholders.